The time of year is here! Parties and holiday cheer around every corner; all centered around food and drinks. However, this does not have to be a time of the ultimate overindulgence to reaffirm America’s #1 New Year’s resolution each and every year – weight loss.
- #1 – have fun and enjoy all the extra parties and time spent with family and friends
- #2 – everything in moderation
- #3 – keep up with a good workout routine
- #4 – always make something healthy to take to the party to ensure you have something to munch on
Here are some healthier holiday options to take to your next holiday event:
Greek Nachos with Feta
- 2 pounds tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 (6.5-ounce) bag pita chips
3/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
Combine tomatoes, red onion, minced garlic, cucumber, and kosher salt. Preheat oven to 375°. Place pita chips on a baking sheet. Top chips with feta cheese, and bake until just melted (5 minutes). Remove from oven; top with tomato-and-cucumber salsa and a dollop of yogurt.
Pomegranate Salad with Walnuts and Cabbage
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1 dash sea salt
- ½ medium head cabbage, finely shredded (about 5 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, finely shredded
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup chopped raw walnuts
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 12 fresh cilantro sprigs, finely chopped
- Combine oil, vinegar, honey, and salt in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
Combine cabbage, carrots, pomegranate, walnuts, green onions, and cilantro in a large bowl; mix well.
Drizzle cabbage mixture with dressing; toss gently to blend.
Greek Yogurt Spinach Dip
- 6-7 oz frozen spinach
- 1/3 c Greek yogurt
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 c shredded Parmesan
- Thaw spinach & squeeze out water, combine all ingredients and mix well. Transfer to 4×4 baking dish (spray with olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray) and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350, until dip is bubbling and the cheese is starting to brown around the edges. Serve with veggies and/or organic blue chips.
No Bake Energy Bites
- 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Stir all ingredients together until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, plain
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter, crunchy recommended
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, refrigerate until ready to eat. Serve with apple, pear, banana or strawberries.
Be safe and enjoy!