Here we go….February 2, 2014 at 6:30pm. The Seahawks vs. the Broncos!!
Who will you be cheering for? Will you be heading to a party? Better question, what can you take to enjoy eating during the game?
Superbowl. Each year we gather, hoping that the following Monday was a day off work, to drink, eat and enjoy the great game of football. If your team is playing, you are super excited to watch the game! If not, you are probably more excited about the food, drinks and social time.
Regardless, this gathering does not have to blow your diet! Hopefully you have worked hard all week to eat well, exercise and take care of your body…why blow it all in one afternoon? AND even if you haven’t worked as hard as you should have this week……why blow it in one afternoon??
Here are some healthier recipes to take to that Superbowl party on the 2nd.
But before I share those with you, here are 5 easy tips:
- DO NOT go to any Superbowl party hungry! Have a snack before you leave or before everyone transcends on your family room.
- For every alcoholic beverage you consume, drink a glass of water! This will only better prepare you for that alarm clock on Monday morning.
- Do not stand around the food table. Get a plate and move on.
- Chew gum.
- Take a healthy option so that you know there is at least ONE thing there you can eat!
Oh yes, and one more thing before I get to the recipes! Here are 4 easy snacks to take that the kids and adults can enjoy:
- Air popped pop-corn – drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. BEST way to mix is with your own clean hands. Top with cinnamon or cayenne pepper, depending on what you are going for.
- Make your own trail mix: Cheerios, sunflower seeds, almonds, dried cranberries, pistachios, dark chocolate chips.
- Veggies and hummus!
- Fruit tray with peanut butter yogurt dip (1/4 cup natural PB, ½ cup Greek yogurt and 1 tsp vanilla)
Artichoke dip – serve with veggies
- ·1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- ·1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ·1/2 cup light cream cheese
- ·3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ·1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella, divided
- ·1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ·1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ·1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- ·1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the artichokes, mayonnaise, cream cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 3/4 cup mozzarella, garlic salt, pepper, scallions, and parsley in a bowl; transfer to baking dish. Top with remaining Parmesan and mozzarella; bake 20–30 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
White Bean Dip – serve with veggies or organic blue chips
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 chopped red pepper
- ½ chopped sweet onion
- ½ cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Greek seasoning
- Salt & pepper
Mix all ingredients together and serve.
Black Bean Dip – serve with chips or celery
- I can of low sodium black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 chopped avocado
- 1 cup of frozen corn – thawed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- For extra spice, add chopped jalapeño
Mix all together. Let sit for at least 30 minutes and serve.
Lemon Drop Chicken Wings
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds organic chicken wings
In a large bowl, combine vodka, lemon juice, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to dissolve sugar and salt. Add the chicken wings and mix to coat. Cover bowl or seal bag and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 9- by 13-in. baking pan with two layers of foil. Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer in the pan, and pour the marinade evenly over all. Bake until meat is well browned and pulling away from the bone, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve hot or warm
Homemade Granola Bars – a healthy sweet treat!
- 1 cup unsweetened organic coconut
- 1 large banana (Extra Ripe)
- 1 cup whole grain oats
- 1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
- ½ cup ground flax-seed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
Add banana, coconut, flax-seed, vanilla and oats to electric mixer and mix on low-speed. Add unsweetened almond milk 1 tbsp at a time slowly increasing the mixer’s speed. Preheat oven to 350.Grease a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Pour granola mixture onto baking sheet and spread out into a square shape with a spatula. Try to spread and flatten the mixture evenly as possible. Evenly distribute the mini chocolate chips on the granola and lightly press them down. Bake 11-13 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown. Cut into squares.